Appel à communication: « Andrea Meldolla, called Schiavone », Venise, du 31 mars au 2 avril 2016, date limite le 7 novembre 2015
Prolongation de la date limite de soumission au 7 novembre 2015.
In order to foster knowledge of Venetian Cinquecento painting and of Andrea Schiavone (1515 ca.–1563), the Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana and the Giorgio Cini Foundation are organizing an international symposium dedicated to the latter. Schiavone, who was probably born in Zadar, grew up and worked in Venice; his versatile personality and art will be examined from a whole variety of aspects, with particular emphasis on an interdisciplinary approach.
The Symposium aims to analyze his entire career, not least in relation to his artistic and cultural context, and in particular will encourage further study on the following themes:
– Schiavone’s biography and archival documents
– his paintings, drawings, and prints
– his relationship with models and figurative sources, and with the Cinquecento iconographical tradition
– the reception of his work by the art world
– the critical reception of his work
– the collecting of his work
– the reconstruction of the cultural context of his time (philosophical and religious trends, social evolutions, literary tendencies, etc.)
– his patrons
– the artistic context (fresco painters, cassone painters, workshops, craftsmen).
The International symposium will take place on March 31-April 2 2016 in two prestigious sites: the Libreria Sansoviniana within the Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana, which displays five masterpieces by the artist, and the Giorgio Cini Foundation on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore.
The proceedings will subsequently be published.
Conference Committee: Irina Artemieva, Luca Massimo Barbero, David Ekserdjian, Marzia Faietti Miguel Falomir, Caterina Furlan, David Landau, Maurizio Messina
Conference Administrators: Chiara Callegari, Vincenzo Mancini
All proposals for papers should include a title and abstract (maximum 300 words), together with the contact details and a brief biography of the speaker.
Please submit the Session proposal Form by e-mail to the Conference Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org by November 7, 2015.